Statement from TGB on Government Shutdown Affect on Employees
The Tribal Governing Board met yesterday to discuss the status of current funding levels for Federal grants, access to funds, and long-range effects of an extended shutdown. This was the initial step in creating an action plan that will provide direction should the need arise.
As a result of yesterday’s discussion, the determination was made to continue “business as usual” for the next week, with a few restrictions. We are still able to draw funds from some Federal agencies, which will support operations for the next couple of weeks. In the meantime, we will continue to develop scenarios to deal with an extended shutdown.
Measures to control expenses were discussed, and the following will be implemented immediately.
1. Essential travel only; that which is mandated by grant agreements or contracts.
2. Technology; purchases of cell phones, laptops, desktops, printers, etc. for program and administrative staff, will be restricted to critical needs only.
3. Annual pay increases will be delayed until the government resumes operations. Please continue to perform annual reviews and submit the requests for increases. If approved they will be made retroactive as of the date approved.
4. No new contracts without TGB/CFO approval.
5. New hires will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
Thank you for your cooperation during this critical period. We appreciate any cost saving measures you take to reduce current expenses. If you have questions, concerns, or ideas on how to continue operations into the future in the case of an extended shutdown, we welcome your input.
We will continue to update you as we receive additional information.