New Animal Control Officer Hired at LCO
LCO Tribal Member Anthony Dennis was recently hired as Animal Control Officer for Lac Courte Oreilles. As Animal Control Officer, Dennis will operate under the direction of the Lac Courte Oreilles Tribal Police Department. Any issues or animal complaints should be directed to the police department.
Dennis will be on patrol during the week within normal business hours.
The LCO Animal Control Ordinance is as follows;
(a) All owners and keepers of any dog or cat over the age or four (4) months within the LCO reservation, and any other animal designated by the department, in its discretion, as being susceptible to rabies, shall ensure that such dog, cat or other animal is properly vaccinated against rabies, at all times, including without limitation, that any such dog, cat or other animal is revaccinated prior to the date the current vaccination expires as stated on the certificate of vaccination, or in the event a certificate of vaccination does not specify a date of expiration, within three (3) years after the most recent vaccination.
(b) All owners and keepers shall maintain, at all times, certificates evidencing current rabies vaccinations, and shall present such certificates to the department upon request.
Restraint of Animals
Collar or Harness
All owners and keepers of any dog or cat within the LCO reservation shall ensure that such dog or cat wears, at all times, a properly fitting collar or harness of sufficient strength and condition to restrain the animal. The owner or keeper shall securely attach the license and rabies vaccination tags to such collar or harness.
Dogs in Heat
All owners and keepers of any dog in heat within the LCO reservation shall ensure that any such dog is confined except for planned breeding.
Dogs Running at Large
All owners and keepers of any dog within the LCO reservation shall ensure that such dog does not run at large within the LCO reservation.
All owners and keepers of any dog within the LCO reservation shall ensure that such dog is physically restrained by a leash of not more than ten (10) feet in length, at all times, provided however:
(a) a dog may be unleashed within premises, as defined in Section 4.96(o);
(b) a dog may be maintained on a secure chain or leash of sufficient strength, which is attached to an immovable object to prevent escape; or
(c) a dog may be unleashed on the property of the owner or keeper, or on property to which the owner or keeper has obtained the permission of the owner to use, if supervised by a person sixteen (16) years of age or older who is able to maintain control of the dog and who in fact controls the dog.
Authority to Impound
(a) The department has the authority to impound any animal in the following situations:
(1) any dog or cat which is not licensed in violation of Section 4.97;
(2) any dog, cat or other animal which is not vaccinated in violation of Section 4.98;
(3) any dog or cat which is not wearing a collar or harness or tags in violation of Section 4.99;
(4) any dog which is running at large in violation of Section 4.101 or not properly restrained or maintained as required under Section 4.102;
(5) any animal that has bitten or attacked any person or domestic animal severely enough to break the skin or where rabies exposure may have occurred;
(6) any animal which is neglected, subjected to cruel treatment, animal fighting or abandoned;
(7) any animal which the department has reason to believe may be sick or diseased and presents a potential public health or safety hazard;
(8) any dangerous animal which is kept, maintained or harbored within the LCO Reservation in violation of Section 4.118;
(9) any animal which is not confined within the premises of their owners or keepers during a public emergency in violation of Section 4.116; and
(10) any wild or exotic animal which is kept, harbored or maintained within the LCO reservation not in accordance with Section 4.121.
(b) The director shall have the authority to designate the place and manner in which animals are impounded.
(c) Following any impoundment, the director or his authorized agent shall notify the owner or keeper of the animal of its impoundment, or if the owner or keeper of the animal is unknown, the department shall make reasonable efforts to ascertain and to notify the owner or keeper of the impoundment.