New Information for Employees Regarding Government Shutdown
From LCO Tribal Governing Board
January 25, 2019 Update for employees regarding partial government shutdown.
As we enter day 34 of the partial Federal Government shutdown, the Tribal Governing Board would like to update you on the current funding levels for Federal grants, access to funds, and operational changes that may take effect in the upcoming weeks.
The programs that have been affected the most by the shutdown are those funded by the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Indian Health Service, and the Department of Agriculture. The landscape changes on a daily basis, with some federal agencies re-opening for two to three weeks, providing a short window of opportunity to draw down funds.
With no solid hope for a resolution in the near future, TGB met yesterday to discuss potential cost-saving measures, while maintaining services to the community. Access to essential services will continue to be available, and all other programs are being evaluated on a case by case basis.
Please continue to follow the cost saving measures implemented previously:
1. Essential travel only; that which is mandated by grant agreements or contracts.
2. Technology; purchases of cell phones, laptops, desktops, printers, etc. for program and administrative staff, will be restricted to critical needs only.
3. Annual pay increases will be delayed until the government resumes operations. Please continue to perform annual reviews and submit the requests for increases. If approved they will be made retroactive as of the date approved.
4. No new contracts without TGB/CFO approval.
5. New hires will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
Additional operational changes may include reduced hours, selective and voluntary layoffs, and scheduling changes. We are committed to continuing as many services as possible, but the longer the shutdown continues, the more challenging this becomes. A more definitive plan will be released in the upcoming week.
We will continue to update you as we receive additional information.