top of page

Hwy E Bridge Currently Under Construction and Traffic Diverted to Thoroughfare Road

By Joe Morey

News Editor

The County Hwy E Bridge between Whitefish and Reserve on the Lac Courte Oreilles Reservation is currently out and being replaced. The construction project is expected to be completed by November 15th of this year.

Tribal Realtor Nita Kemp said local traffic is being rerouted through Thoroughfare Road from Whitefish to North Reserve.

Kemp said the project cost is $582,000 and is 80% funded by the state Department of Transportation and the other 20% is from Sawyer County and the LCO Tribe with BIA Bridge funds from a special account for bridges and not from the usual BIA Roads Grants.

In recent construction updates, the work completed stated the prime contractor has formed up the west abutment and poured concrete. Excavated for the east abutment and placed riprap in front of abutment body. Piles were placed.

Anticipated work schedule for next week: Will be cutting off piles and prepping abutment foundation to set formwork. Iron workers will be on site to tie steel and swing into position. Finish forming up east abutment the remainder of the week and plan is to pour concrete on Friday afternoon. Next week will set beams and place riprap.

Work completed since last update states the prime contractor removed the old structure, excavated for the west abutment and placed west abutment piles.


bottom of page