top of page

Help Yourself to Better Health Information Session Coming in September

Submitted by Kay Searfoss,

LCO Health Center Dietitian

You can help yourself to better health, and we can help! Did you know that only 20% of your health is determined by what happens in the doctor's office? The other 80% is based on your environment, social and economic factors like your education, income and your everyday lifestyle choices. A full 30% is based on how well you take care of yourself!

To learn more about proven programs which can help you improve your health, please come to our information session on Wednesday, September 18 at 5:00 pm at the Lac Courte Oreilles Community Health Center in the large conference room on the lower level.

The event will begin with a healthy eating adventure provided by Chef Al from the Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa Community College Extension program. The tasty light meal will include a sampling of Pork Medallions and Sauteed Onions, Summer Vegetable Casserole, Wild Rice Salad and Berry Dessert. Recipes and tips for preparing healthy, seasonal foods will be included with the meal. This will be followed by a summary and sampling of each of the evidence-based programs available in our community including:

Healthy Living With Chronic Pain- a 6 week workshop series that can help people better manage chronic pain and become more active and involved in life.

Stepping On- a 7 week fall prevention program which includes exercises and tips for avoiding falls.

Healthy Living With Diabetes – at this 6 week workshop, you'll do more than learn about your condition, you'll practice strategies, support others, and gain new tools to take better care of yourself.

Living Well With Chronic Conditions – a six week workshop proven to improve health and well-being for people with long-term (chronic) health conditions. Designed especially for adult learners like you, you'll learn and share with others.

Powerful Tools for Caregivers - In just six weeks, Powerful Tools for Caregivers can help you identify and manage the physical, emotional and financial challenges that family care giving can present and connects you with other caregivers who are facing some of the same feelings and problems you may be facing.

Physical Activity for Lifelong Success (PALS) -is a program specifically designed for older adults who either don't exercise or haven't exercised in a long while. Gathering with your peers and going at your own pace, PALS has been researched and proven to improve walking speed and distance in participants. The program meets 3 times a week for 10 weeks, followed by 6 months of coaching sessions (calls or in person) to improve physical activity levels of participants.

These programs are provided through a partnership including the Lac Courte Oreilles Community Health Center, LCO Elder Services, the Senior Resource Center in Hayward and the Wisconsin Institute for Healthy Aging. Programs are held at various locations in Sawyer County.

If you would like to know more, please come to the information session from 5:00-7:00 pm on Wednesday, September 18, 2019 in the large conference room (lower level) at the Lac Courte Oreilles Community Health Center. The evening will also include a drawing for door prizes. Please call Kay at 715.638.5100 to register or for more information.

Hope to see you there!


bottom of page