Submitted by Gary Girard
LCOCHC Director, Public Health Officer
As of last Friday the 13th of August the CDC and FDA have recommended a certain population of patients get a 3rd dose of mRNA vaccine 4 weeks after their second dose is complete. The following is the recommendation for those whom are currently eligible:
• Been receiving active cancer treatment for tumors or cancers of the blood
• Received an organ transplant and are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
• Received a stem cell transplant within the last 2 years or are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
• Moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency (such as DiGeorge syndrome, Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome)
• Advanced or untreated HIV infection
• Active treatment with high-dose corticosteroids or other drugs that may suppress your immune response
Be advised that in the near future booster doses may be recommended for the general population and we will keep the community advised as soon as those recommendations are published. For the listed patients above please call the Health Center to schedule your 3rd dose as soon as possible.
We will be scheduling vaccine clinics for 1st. 2nd and 3rd doses when needed.